Initiative for Diversity and Inclusion
The Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies invites our BIPOC (black, Indigenous, and people of color) colleagues and current first-generation undergraduates of any race, gender or ethnicity in Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies to participate in a two-year program, the ASEEES Initiative for Diversity and Inclusion. The aim of this initiative is for ASEEES to provide structural support for students and specialists of underrepresented backgrounds in the United States and to create a community within which they can network, share their experiences and mentor each other.
We are pleased to offer complimentary two-year membership to those who are eligible. Previous ASEEES members whose membership has lapsed are especially welcome to rejoin the Association at no cost in 2023 and 2024.
Student member participants for 2021-2022 will receive complimentary membership for 2023-2024; we do ask non-student 2021-2022 participants to pay for their membership to continue their participation in the initiative.
As part of the aim to promote diversity, equity and inclusion in our field and provide professional benefits and support for members of underrepresented backgrounds, we request that those participating in this initiative be willing to engage with others in designated online networking and mentoring activities.
ASEEES thanks Douglas Smith and Stephanie Ellis-Smith for their generous gift to fund this initiative.
Eligibility requirements to receive complimentary two-year ASEEES membership:
- Undergraduate students, graduate students, scholars, or non-academic professionals in Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies, and
- Permanently residing in the United States, and
- Willingness to engage in online networking and/or mentoring activities, and
- Undergraduate students, graduate students, scholars, or non-academic professionals who identify as BIPOC who are studying or working in the field, or
- Professionals who identify as BIPOC who have an MA or PhD in Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies but are working in unrelated areas or disciplines, or
- Current first-generation undergraduates of any race, gender, or ethnicity in Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies.
Please indicate your interest by completing this short information form. If you have not created a profile in the ASEEES membership database, please do so by going here. This information is required in order for us to process your complimentary membership.