Call for Proposals
Call for Proposals for the 55th ASEEES Annual Convention
October 19-20, 2023 for the Virtual Convention
November 30 - December 3, 2023 in Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
2023 Convention theme: Decolonization
ASEEES is delighted to host a small virtual convention in October followed by the main an in-person convention in Philadelphia on November 30-December 3, 2023. In the session proposal submission process, you will be presented with an option to apply to either the in-person or the virtual convention. The number of sessions for the virtual convention will be limited. We acknowledge that circumstances surrounding the Covid-19 pandemic continue to evolve and sympathize with possible health, travel, and financial restrictions of our members. However, we are unable to accommodate the option to move from an in-person to virtual or virtual to in-person format. We thank you for understanding this constraint when submitting proposals. ASEEES will be carefully monitoring the conditions and best practices and will make adjustments as necessary to ensure the health and well-being of our attendees.
All session participants must agree to participate in person or virtually. Hybrid sessions during the in-person convention will not be permitted. Technical requirements for hybrid sessions at the in-person convention venue are prohibitively expensive.
*NEW as of 2023: Individual paper proposals will ONLY be considered for the VIRTUAL CONVENTION due to the high withdrawal rate of individual paper presenters for the in-person convention. If you wish to submit a proposal for the in-person convention, you must do so as part of a panel proposal.
If you postponed a panel or a roundtable that was accepted for ASEEES 2022, you must resubmit your proposal for the 2023 Convention.
2023 Convention Proposal Deadlines
March 15: All 2023 Convention panel/roundtable/lightning round/individual paper proposals CLOSED
April 1: Film submissions and Requests for rooms for Affiliate Group meetings
Types of Submissions
- Lightning Round
- Individual Paper (for virtual convention only)
- Film Screening (for in-person convention only)
- Affiliate Group Meeting Request
Proposal Submission Process
IMPORTANT: Before you start your submission process:
- Read the general rules for convention participation.
- If you are a submitter or session organizer, renew your ASEEES membership first. You must be a current member in order to submit a proposal. You must enter your professional biography in your profile on the Member Site.
NOTE: If you are a panel/roundtable participant but NOT the organizer, you do not need to become a member until the time of the acceptance notification in the spring (see the membership rules), but you must have a profile in the ASEEES Member Site. See Instructions on how to create a profile.
- If you are submitting a session proposal, you must decide if the proposal is for the virtual or the in-person convention and answer this question in the submission process. Individual paper submissions are for the virtual convention only.
- A panel proposal should include a minimum of 3 to maximum of 4 paper presentations.
- If you are submitting a series of sessions on a related theme, you may submit maximum of 4 sessions. Please see the rules for the session naming recommendation.
- The session/paper title word limit is 20; session/paper abstract word limit is 250. Panel/roundtable submissions must include a short abstract. Indidivual paper and panel papers also require short abstracts.
- Be sure to gather all required information first. You cannot save an incomplete proposal online.
- Make sure all session participants have a profile in the ASEEES Member Site. They do not need to pay ASEEES membership dues at this point. NOTE: Because ASEEES moved to a new Member Site in 2023, those who have participated in past conventions but have never been an ASEEES member must create a new profile in the new site. See Instructions on how to create a profile. It is essential that they create their profile in the Member Site at least 24 hours before you submit the proposal. This is essential as it takes time for the data to sync between the Member Site and the Convention Site. Do not wait until just before the submission deadline.
- Ask all session participants to enter their brief professional biography in the "Professional Biography" box under the My Profile. This information will be used in the online submission and review process. If they have a profile in the Member Site but are having difficulty entering their professional biography, they can use this form to provide the brief bio and the ASEEES staff will enter it for them.
- Ask all session participants for their exact last name as they appear in the ASEEES Member directory so that you can search for them in the online submission process.
- If submitting a panel proposal, gather a short abstract for each panel paper.
- Please review the Session Categories before you submit your proposal. Note that the session categories are used are strictly for scheduling purposes only and have no bearing on the proposal's acceptance.
- For a Book Discussion Roundtable, use the Roundtable submission process. In the session, title, enter "Book Discussion:" followed by the title of the book and the author.
- Step-by-step instructions for submitting a proposal are available (PDF).
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions about proposal submissions.
- When ready, go to the Online Submission Site and log in using the same username and password as the ASEEES Member Site.
Submisson by E-mail
While online submission of proposals is strongly encouraged, we do accept proposals for the following proposal types as E-mail attachments. Please complete the appropriate forms below and send as e-mail attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Panel Submission Form (MS Word) [CLOSED]
- Roundtable/Book Discussion Roundtable Submission Form (MS Word) [CLOSED]
- Affiliate Group Meeting Request Form (MS Word)
Lightning Round, Individual Paper and Film Screening proposals must be submitted online only.
Ancillary Event Room Requests
To reserve a room for your organization's ancillary events during the 2023 ASEEES Convention in Chicago, IL, please complete this form. These meetings can include receptions, literary events, and general events. Affiliate Group Meeting requests should still be completed online through the proposal submission site above. Requests for ancillary events are due by August 17.
The acceptance notification for both individual paper submissions and panel/roundtable submissions will go out in mid May. The notification will not include the program schedule at that time. Upon notification of acceptance, participants are expected to become members of ASEEES. Please see the rules on the membership requirement.
If you have any questions or experience technical issues, contact us.